Received our latest grass-fed meat order yesterday from McDonald Farm, and was excited by a few things:
- Their nitrate free bacon is absolutely fantastic! I wasn't expecting its non-red colour, which really reinforced the naturalness of it. I also suspect (after tasting it) that it has been lightly smoked; truly pleasing flavour.
- Frying eggs in these bacon drippings was awesome! I've tried doing that before with typical store bought bacon, but found it tasted way too greasy. Not the case with bacon made from pigs raised to forage for their food.
- I recall reading a recipe to make bacon-aisse (DIY mayo with bacon grease in it) and thinking how horribly greasy tasting that would be... but now I may have to rethink my position on that recipe, having the right bacon in hand!
- I had previously asked Wayne about the availability of beef tallow (for soap making) and was surprised to find some fat included in my order! I'll have to search for the steps to render the fat down into tallow, but am eager to compare the soap results between beef and pork tallow.
- I always include beef liver each order, and have had the good fortune of receiving other organ meat samples. Previously, I've received beef tongue and kidney, but today I found some packages of ox tail and heart! Being a lover of various bird hearts over the years, I'm really looking forward to seeing what a massive beef heart tastes like!